Tuesday, July 29, 2008

GRAND CANYON July 2008

(Hoover Dam)

Last spring my friend, Bet Ellis, asked me if I'd like to hike the Grand Canyon with her. Being the busy body I am, we ended up with 7 of us going on this trip together. Here is the story of our adventure:
Sandy, Wendy, Kaylene, Carol Ann, Bet, and Monica flew to Vegas where we all met - some of us for the first time ever. After a two hour wait in the already reserved car rental line (yep, that was 2 stinkin' hours) we loaded all our gear into the 12 passenger van, I put my pillow under my butt so I could see over the steering wheel and off we went. Monica brought her portable GPS so these chicks didn't get lost once! "Go Monica!" After quite a few stops we made it to the parking lot/trail head around 10:30pm. Poor Kaylene had been feeling poorly the entire day with stomach problems and we all know what that involves. We had all settled down in various places in and out of the van, hoping to get some sleep before heading down the canyon at 4am when Kaylene came to me and said she was too sick to do the hike. After deciding what would be best for her, we kicked everyone out of the van and Sandy, Kaylene and I headed back to the Vegas airport. She was able to get a seat on a 6:30am flight back to SLC and we arrived at 5:30. We helped her into the airport and felt terrible about leaving her as we left. We stopped in at Denny's for food and recharging the phones, and headed back to the canyon. We arrived around 11:30am and now it's too hot to start hiking so we did what any sensible woman would do: we rode the helicopter down! (Notice my pillow, Kari)


This is the 1st waterfall we came to as we were walking down to the campsites. We actually ran into the rest of our group just walking along!

This is a small cave we crawled thru on our way to a waterfall on the 2nd day.

Monica, Carol Ann, Kelly, Wendy and Sandy. Bet decided to do her own thing that day and just stayed around the campsite. That's why she's not in the pic.

I had two more picture to add but I can't get them to load up at the bottom of this page and I'm doing this in order. How do I do that?

Carol Ann took alot of pictures with her big, ole camera so I'll post more when I get them. Anyway, we had a fantastic time and I'm ready to go back. Kaylene, when you're ready, I'm there! Kari, you really can have fun hiking and camping for 2-3 days! You just need to hang out with us!!

8 comments:

Kari said...

are you leaking milk out of your trach? is that how you'd spell trach? Gosh, Mom, you're so vain. Kelly posted pictures of the GROUP on her blog!!!

Pierce and Stacy said...

Wendy, you are so fit and cute! I love you. I hope to see you in a couple of weeks!

wendy said...

Oh no.....I was leaking milk that day! GROSS! I posted those 2 pics so you could see how short my hair is.....I'll edit it later. Gotta get my beauty sleep!

Tate Family said...

Cute pics...considering I had your camera! Ha! Left you and Kari a post on mine...check it out

lilsusha said...

Wendy, you're amazing!! Hope I have as many adventures in my lifetime. Fun fun fun!!

Katy said...

I love this post! Look at you doing all of this fun stuff! I wish I went camping more. :)

Teri said...

LOL! Wendy - this is an awesome adventure! I can't believe it how it started out! And poor Kaylene! Looks like the rest of the trip went super well! See you at Stacy-n-Pierce's Open House!

Stacey said...

Hey, if you ever need a sherpa on one of your trips, I volunteer!! You have so much fun! Or at least you make things look fun!